Lichfield and District Group

including Tamworth

Minutes 180724

LICHFIELD & DISTRICT RAMBLERS

Minutes of the meeting held on 24 July 2018

Present: Phil Cheesewright Chairman, Ed Watson Secretary, Tony Grady, Kevin McManus, Jean Rollins-Head (part), Jo & Peter Trodden, Jenny Wilson

1 Apologies: none

2 Minutes of the previous meeting: minutes of the meeting held on 5 June 2018 were approved

3 Matters arising: the walks programme for the second half was now complete. 24 people had taken part in the Lichfield Festival walk on 10 July. Ramblers Walking Holidays had paid £40 to our account. Ed had booked the Martin Heath Hall but was awaiting confirmation of the booking from John Waterfield.

4 Holiday breaks: we now had 15 people for Sedbergh, with Mollie Sanders now on the list. Phil would be looking into walks possibilities. Ed was still awaiting feedback from Amber Parish-Smith re Hassness House prices for next Spring.

5 Officers’ reports:

  1. Walks programme: a potential new member may turn up at Tony’s pub walk from the Black Horse Coton-in-the-Elms this coming Thursday.
  2. Social events: Christmas lunch 1.30 for 2.00 at The Globe, Tamworth. Mac will collect deposits after 1 November
  3. Footpaths and environment: NTR
  4. Finance: Tony advised that the General fund stood at £615 and the Social at £115.
  5. Publicity: NTR
  6. Membership: now 106.

6 Staffordshire Area news: Ed advised that the Annual Report for Step Out would be due by 15 September latest. Phil to provide stats, Ed then to draft report including holidays and Lichfield Festival walk. Phil advised that topics included at the last Area meeting were – further cuts expected in next year’s SCC budget and therefore even less footpath maintenance expected – Des Garraghan replaced by Kate Ashworth – the Area AGM would be held at Horton village hall near Leek – Bilston Group wound up – meetings were being held every three months with SCC to discuss footpaths – 238 new RoW had been requested in Staffordshire as a result of “Don’t Lose Your Way”.

7 Group website: NTR

8 Correspondence: Ed had heard from the HoEW Committee rejecting our proposed amendment to the route.

9 Any other business: we had been advised that former member Gwen Hartley had died. Ed to ascertain date of her funeral.

10 Date of next meeting: 10.00 a.m. on Tuesday 4 September at Jo & Peter’s, 16 Wheel Lane, Lichfield WS13 7QW

The meeting closed at 10.30 and Jean and Ed were thanked for their hospitality.

These minutes are to be published on the Group website. All present have consented to their names being made known.

Walking Etiquette

At the recent AGM, different aspects of walking etiquette were raised by several people, and it’s worth restating a few rules, just to make sure that things go smoothly in future and that we all look after each other.

1) Leaders – PLEASE don’t make walks significantly longer or harder than they are shown in the programme. If you don’t know how long or hard they are ask Phil to check them for you with Memory Map.

2) Leaders – When you stop to allow people at the back to catch up after a hard stretch PLEASE give those people a chance to rest before starting again.

3) PLEASE DON’T walk in front of the leader, unless you’ve asked first. The leader has to make sure that the slowest walkers are in sight, so can’t always go as fast as you’d like.

4) When you reach a turning point PLEASE make sure that you can see the people behind you and that they know where you’re going.  If possible the leader should post a ‘sentry’ to make sure everybody follows.

5) Similarly, when you pass through a gate in a field with animals in PLEASE DON’T leave it open, relying on people far behind to close it.  Wait, or post a sentry to look after it.

6) Finally, PLEASE be prepared to use your car when you go on the short walks.  The success of the scheme is going to rely on this.

Thursday, August 16, 2018