Despite the cold and misty winter weather, 22 of us enjoyed a walk around Sandon and Milwich on Sunday 22 January 2017 led by Anne and Tony. Starting off from the car park opposite the Dog and Doublet public house, we walked up the hill to All Saints church which stands at the edge of the parkland of Sandon Hall, owned by the Earls of Harrowby since 1777.
There has been a church on the site, set high above the Trent Valley, since at least 1130. The views from up here are lovely. We then walked across Upper Park, which is the highest ground at Sandon, to reach Trentham Tower.
This pavilion, made from the upper part of the Belvedere stone tower from Trentham Hall, was moved here after Trentham Hall’s demolition in 1910/11. At the time, Lord Harrowby purchased it for £100 and it became known as Lord Harrowby’s Folly.
We were pleased to see that It's been restored since we were here last. We were surprised to find that there is a lock-up underneath the monument. Ed seemed worried that he might be left there!
Shortly after, we had our customary coffee break sitting on some convenient tree trunks.
Every now and again we have to stop to make sure that everyone is with us – as you can see 13 of us were waiting for the other 9. We haven’t lost anyone yet, but 10% wastage is usually reckoned to be the maximum!